Case study "The Pods leisure centre"
The unique five domed
The unique five domed design comprises of pods finished in a range of materials, each contributing to the development’s remit to blend into the park landscape. Renolit’s involvement, alongside Ilkeston based contractor, Advanced Roof & Wall, has been short-listed for the prestigious NFRC roofing awards, 2011.
Each dome is waterproofed using the RENOLIT ALKORPLAN system and whilst the complex is thought to be the UK’s largest timber-built geodesic project, it also demonstrates possibly the most innovative use of single ply membrane ever seen in the UK.
RENOLIT ALKORPLAN provides a sleek, incredibly versatile and highly creative roofing system. That’s why it is arguably mainland Europe’s most specified single ply waterproofing membrane at between 20 to 40% the weight of many traditional multilayer systems ...and developed for easy installation.
The individual pod diameters extend from 20m up to nearly 50m, with the largest covering an area close to 2000m². Not only is the RENOLIT ALKORPLAN system deployed as a waterproof foundation beneath two cedar shingle covered domes, one sedum green roofed dome and an aluminium sheeted roofed dome, it has been combined with RENOLIT’S ALKORDESIGN profile to create a geometric pattern, similar in appearance to a standing seam roof.
Each of the pods specifications set a separate challenge and how the Renolit technical team responded to prove the versatility and durability of the RENOLIT ALKORPLAN range.
Dome 1: Sportshall
ALKORPLAN F (35179)
Calandered / laminated flexible fleecebacked membrane of flexible PVC. The membrane has been combined with ALKORDESIGN profiles providing geometric aesthetic detailing, creating the appearance of a standing seam roof.
Dome 2: Swimming pool
ALKORPLAN F (35177)
Calandered / laminated flexible fleecebacked PVC, reinforced with glass fibre. The membrane has been combined with ALKORPLUS metal sheet retaining profiles beneath a green roof sedum cover.
Dome 3 and 4: Second Pool, changing rooms and cafeteria
ALKORPLAN F (35176)
The membrane has been combined with ALKORSOLAR profile supporting counter-batten beneath individually laid cedar shingle tiles.
Dome 5: Leisure centre entrance
ALKOPLAN F (35176)
Calandered / laminated membrane of flexible PVC with woven polyester reinforcing. The membrane has been combined with ALKORSOLAR profile to support glazed aluminium sheeting.
RENOLIT ALKORPLAN: Membrane Properties
• Calendered / laminated membrane of flexible PVC with woven polyester reinforcement.
• Conforms to UEAtc guidelines
• Used as waterproofing membrane within mechanically restrained systems
• Suitable warm roof substrates are metal deck, timber and concrete
• Most specified membrane in mainland Europe since 1972
• Fire retardant membrane: BRE A tested
• BBA Certificate with a lifespan in excess of 35 years.
• BREEAM A Plus rating. The highest possible within the Green guide.
• Light weight, reduces the cost and weight of substructure.
• Widest colour range: includes metallics, AlkorBright white and corporate matching
• Limited maintenance with uncomplicated product warranties
• The product is recyclable, returning to the production process